- Support Services
Multicultural Services at OTEN
The Multicultural Community Engagement Coordinator (MCEC) supports the work of TAFE Digital-OTEN to ensure:
- Participation, completions and pathways to vocational education and employment are maximized for people from Culturally & Linguistically Diverse (CALD) backgrounds
- TAFE Digital complies with the key federal, state and departmental multicultural legislation and policy and protocols.
The MCEC offers advice, support and services to:
1. Staff on:
- appropriate programs including support services which meet the learning and employment needs of students from multicultural backgrounds
- programs and strategies to increase participation and enhance successful outcomes and pathways to employment for students from multicultural backgrounds
- training and strategies about cultural issues and different learning styles to facilitate learning for multicultural students
- compliance and implementation of multicultural policies and legislation
- enrolment and completion data analysis of multicultural students in all courses to identify barriers to full participation and outcomes
- identifying and securing contestable and commercial funding opportunities to support programs and projects for multicultural customers. For example developing specific programs for Skilled and overseas qualified migrants, Humanitarian entrants and Refugees.
2. Multicultural students on:
- relevant multicultural policies such as conditions of study for Temporary Visa Holders; Recognition of overseas qualifications; the use of interpreters; the use of bi-lingual dictionaries in exams; anti-discrimination, vilification and harassment legislation & procedures,
- awareness of the new Multicultural NSW “Speak Out” Hotline which has been launched to protect people from race and religion-based harassment, intimidation and abuse. The number is 1800 131 555 and is in operation 24/7.
- access to TAFE provisions including special programs and support services
- eligibility to study TAFENSW courses and on recognition of overseas qualifications and skills validation for prospective students
- provision of bilingual services and access to interpreting and translation services.
- advocating for students and facilitating their learning experience, including the provision of language support and disability services.
3. The wider community and industry by:
- Promoting TAFE Digital courses and services by reaching out to multicultural communities and refugee groups.
- Engaging in community meetings, consultations, information days and community events to promote and increase awareness of TAFE Digital programs and services.
- Consulting with community and refugee groups to identify settlement needs and barriers to training and employment for CALD people.
- Researching, developing and reviewing best practice models of VET programs for CALD people.
- Leading the development of appropriate partnerships with regional groups and organisations representing CALD communities to facilitate provisions of VET programs that include the philosophy of multicultural policies and enhance employment outcoms.
For further information please contact Aida Tabet, MCEC at TAFE Digital on
PH: (02) 9715 8678
Multicultural Education Services
The Multicultural Community Engagement Officers (MCEOs) support the work of the Institute to ensure:
- the Institute maximises participation, completions and pathways to vocational education and employment for people from culturally & linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds.
- the Institute complies with the key federal, state and departmental multicultural legislation and policy drivers.
Multicultural Education Services: read more