Work experience provides you with¿exposure to situations and circumstances that cannot be replicated in a learning environment.
Work experience is not mandatory for this qualification; however, this is a highly practical course with your course work structured to include 120 hours of work experience.
TAFE Digital students: You are responsible for arranging your own work experience. Our SkillsTeam can offer support and guidance to assist you.
Campus-based students: TAFE NSW will arrange your work experience with a suitable industry employer.
Decisions on where you will be placed are guided through a nomination process of your preferred location and your personal circumstances.
If you have already secured paid or voluntary work with a community agency the SkillsTeam will assess its suitability for your work experience.
Work experience generally only begins once you have had significant contact with your teacher and they are satisfied that you are ready to benefit from on-the-job industry learning.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
To be prepared for this course, it is recommended that you:
- Enjoy working with people during difficult situations and circumstances
- Are empathetic, patient and able to empower others
- Are personable and able to build rapport with young people
- Are able to respond well to rapid change and adapt to a range of new contexts
- Have good organisational skills and are able to multi-task
- Have good written and verbal communication skills
- Can work independently and with others
- Are able to solve complex problems
- Have good time management skills
This qualification contains content, concepts and scenarios that may be distressing. Please consider your personal resilience and any potential emotional triggers when participating in this qualification and in any future employment in this field.
If you need help preparing for study, contact us about your options.