Skip to content Skip to page navigation



Diploma of Hearing Device Prescription and Evaluation

TAFE NSW Course Number: HLT51307-01V04

  • National Course Code: HLT51307
  • Training Package: HLT07 Health
  • Related Pathways: Health Services
  • Nominal Hours: 975
  • Skills List:
    This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
    (TAFE NSW – Open Training and Education Network, Provider Code: 90004)

Course description

This course is for people who work or want to work as a hearing aid audiometrist.

You will learn to screen for and assess hearing impairment, and to take appropriate action based on the results of your testing. Such actions could include referral for further audiological or medical assessment, and the prescribing and dispensing of hearing aids and other assistive devices that can assist in hearing rehabilitation excluding cochlear implants and bone anchored hearing aids. Actions could also include working with clients and their carers in hearing health education programs to maximise the participation of hearing impaired people in aspects of personal and community activities that are part of their personal need or aspiration.

The Health Training Package (HLT07) identifies six (6) units of competency from HLT41307 Certificate IV in Audiometric Assessment as prerequisite for entry to this qualification. If you have not already successfully completed these units of competency prior to enrolment in this course, you must complete these units, before commencing other units that are part of this course. Contact the campus prior to enrolment for more information.


If you are seeking to enrol in a First Aid unit of competency you are advised that to complete the unit you must be able to perform basic life support skills, for example control bleeding and perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). If you have a disability that would prevent you from performing required basic life support skills you are advised that you will not be able to achieve the unit of competency.

Please see ‘Other Requirements’ below for important information regarding Work Placement requirements and Student rights and responsibilities.

We highly recommend you complete a personalised career and study profile to confirm this course is right for you, you will find the Career Voyage link under Need Help Deciding below.

Other information

Your enrolment is not finalised until you have paid upfront or requested VET FEE-HELP assistance for the course or program by the census date. TAFE NSW does not:

  • provide fee exemptions, concessions or instalment payments for, fee for service (commercial) courses and programs - provide the option to co-enrol with another TAFE NSW college - allow a transfer to another course or TAFE NSW college

    Refunds are granted in accordance with the TAFE NSW VET FEE-HELP Tuition Fee and Refund Policy, visit for information. Are you under 17 years of age? Before enrolling please read the NSW Department of Education and Communities - The new school leaving age.


Employer Supervisor Statement

Student Declaration

Prohibited Employment Declaration

To gain entry into HLT51307 Diploma of Hearing Device Precription and Evaluation a candidate must demonstrate competence through a recognised training program or recognition process, in the following units of competency (or their equivalent)

from HLT41307 Certificate IV in Audiometric Assessment:

HLTAU402D Conduct screening hearing tests for industrial hearing loss HLTAU403D Conduct hearing assessments HLTFA311A Apply first aid HLTHIR301C Communicate and work effectively in health HLTIN301C Comply with infection control policies and procedures HLTWHS300A Contribute to WHS processes

Are there any additional local entry requirements?

A number of courses may require prospective students to provide additional information such as documentation, an expression of interest, evidence that you are already employed as an apprentice, or preferred prior study (or equivalent).

To gain entry into HLT51307 Diploma in Hearing Device Prescription and Evaluation a candidate must be 18 years old, have completed Year 12 or equivalent and have access to a suitable placement for clinical work that is supervised by an appropriately qualified person, who will be their supervisor for the course. Once candidates have found a supervisor they will need to complete the Supervisor Statement form attached. Candidates must complete a Supervisor Statement form to be accepted into the course.

If you have not completed the prerequisite units from HLT41307 Certificate IV in Audiometric Assessment please contact the Audiometry teaching section on (02) 9715 8399 or 1300 122 205 to discuss possible learning pathways.

Credit (or recognition) for modules/units may be granted based on previous learning, studies, work and/or life experiences. For more information on Credit for this course please refer to 'If you have the skills, get credit for a unit or this course' below.

Please note: Some industries have their own legislative or licensing requirements. TAFE NSW recognition does not apply to these.


Many TAFE courses have a compulsory work placement component to assist you to apply your learning in a practical environment and you may be required to comply with some (or all) of the following.

1. HEALTH - NSW MINISTRY OF HEALTH - If you are over 18 you will be required to undertake a National Criminal Record Check. Visit:

  • You will be required to sign the NSW Health Student Undertaking where you agree to notify NSW Health if your status changes after the date of issue of your National Police Certificate or during the completion of your course.
  • You will be required to undertake Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination against Infectious Diseases and provide your Health Care Worker/Student Vaccination Record Card.
  • You will be required to read and sign the NSW Health Code of Conduct form.
Visit: and type 'clinical placement' in search area.

2. AGED CARE WORK - As per NSW Health requirements for the National Criminal Record Check

3. COMMUNITY AND CHILDREN'S SERVICES - Anyone in child-related work (including student placements and volunteers) MUST have a current Working with Children Check (students/volunteers free) in line with the Office of Children's Guardian phase-in schedule and processes. Visit:

4. STUDENT READINESS FOR WORK PLACEMENT - Generally work placements will only occur after there has been a reasonable amount of student/teacher contact and when the teacher is satisfied that you are ready to benefit from workplace learning and perform workplace duties. Your teacher can provide further information.


Audiometry placement and supervision
To enrol in this course you will need to find clinical placement (70 hours) with a qualified supervisor.

To seek a suitable placement you might contact the following:
• Hearing aid dispensing clinics in your local area
• Audiometrists and audiologists from the yellow pages
• Professional associations such as Australian College of Audiology (ACAud), or the Hearing Aid Audiometrists Society of Australia (HAASA).

Requirements of a supervisor
Supervisors may be audiologists who are eligible for full membership of the Audiological Society of Australia (ASA) or the Australian College of Audiology (ACAud) with a current Certificate of Clinical Practice (CCP), or an audiometrist who is a member of ACAud or HAASA and has a QP (Qualified Practitioner) number as an accredited hearing aid dispenser with the Office of Hearing Services (OHS). Supervisors must have at least two years’ experience in the hearing health industry.

Applicant Responsibilities in Clinical Placement
For your awareness, if you are on clinical placement in a public or private facility you may be requested to undergo occupational screening and be vaccinated against infectious diseases.

It is your responsibility to meet the requirements of compulsory clinical placement in terms of cost, travel, accommodation, as well as other clinical placement requirements such as criminal record check and immunization.

Students MUST complete and submit the following forms:
(1) Supervisor Statement form, (2) Student Declaration form, (3) Prohibited Employment Declaration form.

If you are under 17 and want to leave school, your options have been affected by a recent change in NSW law. From January 2010 you must complete Year 10 and then continue in either full-time education, training, paid employment or a combination of these options until you’re at least 17 years of age. More information about options for school students under 17 is available from the NSW Department of Education and Communities - The new school leaving age.

Hearing aid audiometrist.

This qualification is designed to develop the knowledge and skills required to work as an audiometrist or hearing aid audiometrist.

Thinking of studying next year? Not sure if you should go to TAFE or uni? Let us help you decide. At TAFE NSW - Western Sydney Institute we offer you the flexibility to fast-forward your career with Pathways.

Choosing to study at TAFE before going on to uni can see you graduating and entering a competitive workforce sooner — and not with one, but two, nationally recognised qualifications! For more information visit

BSBCUS301B Deliver and monitor a service to customers
BSBCUS501C Manage quality customer service
BSBHRM502A Manage human resources management information systems
BSBHRM503B Manage performance management systems
BSBHRM506A Manage recruitment selection and induction processes
BSBHRM507A Manage separation or termination
BSBMED301B Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
BSBMGT502B Manage people performance
BSBMGT515A Manage operational plan
BSBMKG502B Establish and adjust the marketing mix
BSBMKG514A Implement and monitor marketing activities
BSBRSK501B Manage risk
BSBWOR301B Organise personal work priorities and development
CHCCS416B Assess and provide services for clients with complex needs
CHCORG428A Reflect on and improve own professional practice
CHCPROM401C Share health information
HLTAP401B Confirm physical health status
HLTAU402D Conduct screening hearing tests for industrial hearing loss
HLTAU403D Conduct hearing assessments
HLTAU501D Conduct screening hearing tests for children
HLTAU505C Dispense and maintain hearing devices for adults and provide communication counselling
HLTAU506B Develop and implement an individual hearing program
HLTAU507B Apply hearing device technology
HLTAU508B Identify needs for referral
HLTCOM404C Communicate effectively with clients
HLTFA311A Apply first aid
HLTHIR301C Communicate and work effectively in health
HLTHIR403C Work effectively with culturally diverse clients and co-workers
HLTHIR404D Work effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
HLTHIR505D Provide leadership in promoting effective work practices in health
HLTHIR506C Implement and monitor compliance with legal and ethical requirements
HLTIN301C Comply with infection control policies and procedures
HLTIN403C Implement and monitor infection control policy and procedures
HLTPM501B Manage in a health care business
HLTPM502B Manage health billing and accounting system
HLTWHS300A Contribute to WHS processes
HLTWHS501A Manage workplace WHS processes

The above list includes units being offered at OTEN and that are required to complete this qualification. Other TAFE NSW colleges may offer different elective options. If licensing in another State other than NSW is required, please check requirements with the relevant State.

You don't need to study what you already know! The skills, knowledge and experience you have gained from your previous learning, work experience and life in general may be taken into account.

To apply for recognition in one or more units you must clearly show that you have the equivalent and relevant skills, knowledge and experience of the unit or group of units.

For Credit transfer where you have completed previous studies either with TAFE NSW or with another tertiary provider complete the Enrolment Adjustment - Credit – Previous Studies form, and include any required evidence. Submit these documents to your teaching section via OTEN.

For Recognition of Prior Learning, look through the relevant unit of competency forms below. Attach your evidence to a completed Enrolment Adjustment – Credit – Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) form and submit to OTEN for assessment. Keep a copy of all completed forms for your records.

Recognition for Unit of Competency forms

Need more help? Contact the Recognition Help Desk

You will be required to purchase the following textbook. Introduction to Audiology by Martin & Clark (9th, 10th & 11th editions are all acceptable). You may also need to complete a First Aid certificate at your own expense.

• Five CDs
• On-line tutourial
• On-line resources

• Submitting assignment work
• Attendance at compulsory on-the-job training of approximately 170 hours (duration)
• Optional attendance to on-line tutorials
• Submitting three videos for assessment of practical competency
• Sitting written and on-line tests

The Unit of Study fees below apply if this is not your first qualification. Your actual fee may be less depending on your previous study. We will advise you of any fee reductions you are entitled to before you enrol.

The cost of this course is $4,930.

Important changes to TAFE NSW fees for 2015

On 1 January 2015 the NSW Government introduced changes to how students access government subsidised training in NSW. These changes are part of the Smart and Skilled reform of the NSW vocational education and training system and affect all new and continuing students. It covers all qualification levels Certificate II to Advanced Diploma, selected Foundation Skills courses at Certificate I and II levels, all apprenticeships and selected traineeships. For more information and how this may affect the fees you pay please visit

For full details on TAFE NSW fees please visit our Fees and Financial Assistance page.


Want to study a high-level qualification but can't afford the upfront tuition fees?

click here

Students who are entitled to a NSW State Government subsidised place in this course may be eligible for a VET FEE-HELP student loan to cover their tuition fees.

If during or after your enrolment, the course in which you are enrolled is updated in line with national industry standards, the Institute reserves the right to transition you into an alternate course. If this becomes necessary, the Institute will advise you of the change and the arrangements which will be available for you to complete your alternate course.

OTEN Customer Service 1300 362 346

We are committed to enhancing all students' prospects to reach their potential and achieve a positive future. We recognise that for some students additional support services are fundamental to ensure success. We have the following expert support services available at each College which you may access by calling (02) 9715 8446 or 1300 655 993 to make an appointment: Counselling and Career Development, Disability, Aboriginal, Multicultural, Outreach, Adult Basic Education and Open Learning Centre Support Services.

Our free online career and study planning tool can help.

You will receive a personalised career and study profile based on your responses. If you would like to discuss your results in person, please contact our Counselling and Career Development Unit by calling 131 870 to make an appointment. To get started click the link below:

Career Voyage

From 1 January 2015, all students participating in Nationally Recognised Training in Australia will need to have a Unique Student Identifier, or USI.

This includes students completing an apprenticeship, skill set, certificate or diploma course.

A USI gives you access to your online USI account and will contain all of your nationally recognised training records and results from 1 January 2015 onwards. Your results will be available in your USI account in 2016.

When applying for a job or enrolling in further study, you will often need to provide your training records and results. One of the main benefits of the USI is that you will have easy access to your training records and results throughout your life.

How to get a USI

It is free and easy for you to create your own USI online at Your local Customer Service office can also provide further information and assistance. If you already have your USI you can enrol with TAFE WSI.

How do I enrol?

To apply for this course please click on the Apply option below.

Apply now!

Stay in touch with OTEN

Getting my Cert lll in dental through Oten has helped me change...

G'day My name is Justin and I would like to share with you how...

Hi, my name is Monique, I am 44 years young and would like to...